Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Survey Says….

When Tintin was born, I was five and a half. In fact, almost exactly five and a half, as her birthday is five years, six months and two days after mine. As the eldest – and until then, the only – child, I vaguely remember asking my dad if he wanted a boy or a girl.

He said, in true parental fashion, that it didn't matter just as long as he/she was healthy. Prior to Tintin's birth, I wanted a baby brother.

I wanted someone with whom I could play. I wanted a brother so we could roughhouse, someone to strong arm, a confidant, a friend.

It turned out I got all of that, she just happened to be a girl.

As I sat in the waiting room of the OB/Gyn today, waiting for our 20 week scan and reflecting upon my father's answer – which is the same answer I have given a dozens times when people ask me if I wanted a boy or a girl – I had what alcoholics refer to as a moment of clarity*.

The self-examination of whether or not I really wanted to know lead me to the knowledge that I really did want to know. I mean really, really wanted to know. So why have I been so reticent?

Why the fight?

Two things occurred to me – 1). Finding out the sex of the babies in advance means they can find out problems in advance. I don't want problems, so I bury my head in the sand and hope that it goes away. 2). On some subconscious level, I think I really want a boy.

There's nothing I can do about the first one, other than accept that forewarned is forearmed. I've read stories of in-utero surgeries. They can fix a myriad of problems. I know that.

After I thought about the second one, and once the megasound tech told us, I realized I was being an idiot and the only thing I really wanted was healthy twins.

I should take a moment here to say to the twins, should they read this later on, at this moment, right now as I write this, I love you both so much it hurts. I could literally burst with love. I want you both to hurry up and get here so I can fawn over you and show you off and take you places and teach you things.

But that love isn't even close to the love I feel for now, as you read this. The love is greater because I know you. Your genes are my genes. I know your likes and dislikes. I changed your diapers (I did, go ask your mother for pictures). I helped to raise you and make you the person you are.

And the real true is, I don't care what sex you are.

(I bet you thought I was gonna tell you about the twins' sex in that last paragraph, huh? Not quite yet, but read on.)

The megasound did take a long time; it lasted the better part of an hour. I know, I know, you all said it would. I just figured, well, I'm a pretty quick test taker, so…

The picture at the start of the blog is from our 20 week scan. It is so funny, I'm thinking of using it as our Christmas holiday card.

The tech was a nice woman, pointing out the things that she saw and really 'holding our hand' as she walked us through it. Unfortunately, she did not have much of a sense of humor. I was cracking jokes that P.Pie and I were howling about, but she was all business.

Doc Tres, on the other hand, has a rather warped sense of humor. I like her a lot.

We were concerned that P.Pie wasn't gaining enough weight, so we asked Doc Tres about it. She said, (and I quote), "Basically you have a pair of parasites living in your body and they will tell your body when they need more. I think you're doing fine."

I chuckled to myself at the parasite comment.

A short time later, she went on to talk about changes that were going on in P.Pie's body and said, "…so now you've got these tumors resting on your pelvis…"

I laughed out loud this time and said, "Uhm, Doc, you've called my children parasites and tumors. Perhaps you’re a little burned out; maybe you should think of a new career."

We all laughed at that. [ed. note – Doc Tres is a fantastic doctor and the quotes are a little out of context. She was not in anyway bitter, angry, or resentful. On the contrary, she is a really great doctor and person. I would have no problem recommending her to anyone.]

Anyway, while we are waiting on the P.Pie's glucose results to come back, everything else about the twins and P.Pie was thumbs up.

Alright, alright all ready. I know you are all dying. What are the sexes of the twins?!? P.Pie and I have all received calls from friends and relatives wanting to know the sexes, but we wouldn't tell.

This is the only place you can find out the sex of our children (don't you feel special?).

Twin A has taken up residence on the lower left hand side of P.Pie with the head facing down (Twin A is the one with the butt to B's head). This is first one they scanned because of the ease of access. The tech was able to see a good deal of Twin A during the cervix exam – head, shoulders, and a hand (five fingers! Yea!).

But it wasn't until she did the belly megasound that we could the sex. And it took a bit of looking; first we saw kidneys, then the abdomen, and on to the heart. At the heart, the tech let us listen to it – thumpathumpathumpathumpa! – as she took a reading of the BPM (158!). Such a quick heart beat. Perhaps she will be a runner. (Did you catch that?)

Twin B wasn't so easy. B is half covered up by its sister and laying across (transverse) the womb. Then B's umbilical cord goes between its legs. Not in a bad way; at first glance, everything appear to be okay. Heart (148 BPM!), kidneys, arms, legs, fingers, toes – they all seem to be in place and functioning well. But the tech was unwilling to make a commitment on B's sex.

At one point the tech said, "Well I can't tell; that little bump may be a penis."

I retorted, "C'mon, you're going to give the kid a complex." (every guy reading this blog gets that.)

P.Pie and I laughed, the tech continued to scan.

B did do this funny thing; he/she was moving its head close to the scan and then away from the scan. It was sort of pushing your face against a window. Very funny.

So that's it. One girl and one player to be named later (hopefully at our next growth scan in 4 weeks).

Right now, right this second, we are calling the girl Jorja, but that might changed.

Stay tuned for more!

*My thanks and apologize to Tarantino for use of the quote

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Half Congratulations! I had a similar experience, one was definately a boy and the other had the umbilical cord between his legs so she couldn't tell. Glad to hear everything is going well!

10/10/2006 9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now I can say "I told you so.. :-) One is a girl and obviously the obstinate one is a male. He probably won't let you get a gander for a couple of more times and if he is like his father and grandfather he may not let you get a gander at all. :-)
Pin

10/10/2006 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the girl and the mystery baby too. I am so please that they are both healthy.

Also - that is by fat the funniest ultrasound picture I have ever seen. You should ABSOLUTELY make it your Christmas cards.

Actually, I'm considering printing up a copy and telling the Squad that it is them.

Good times.

10/11/2006 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not a little bump...it's shrinkage. What do you expect from a kid that swims all day?

Congrats. Now that you know the gender of one, you can at least do a little prep work.

By the way, if you haven't started all ready, start buying one or two packages of diapers a week. Spread them out between the small sizes. You'll thank me someday.

10/11/2006 11:13 AM  
Blogger Radioactive Tori said...

I was told at my first ultrasound that I was having two boys. At the next ultrasound, they told me two girls. Then finally at the next one, it was all clear and they decided finally on one of each (maybe they were just trying to be safe and get at least one right?) I'm so glad everything seems healthy! I loved being pregnant. It is when they come out and you can't keep them as safe that scared me!

10/11/2006 11:57 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

Wow! How cool. Man, you know how to build up a story.

Yup, I remember those days. I just can't imagine what it would feel like to expect twins.

10/11/2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger honglien123 said...

Congrats on the girl and the lil mystery playa!!! But um...Jorja really? You know what the J sound is in Spanish right?

10/11/2006 7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats. I always said I wanted a boy so I could do the whole "sports thing" but I'm so happy with my daughter I'm literally bursting with pride. It really doesn't matter but it is good to know in advance.

Healthy is the key. It's a cliche for a reason. Oh, and girls won't do as many stupid things as you and I did as boys.

And no need to rush it. Enjoy sleep now.

10/11/2006 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Father of a daughter! Congratulations!

You'll be king to a princess.

I'm wondering how/if this will change the way you see or think about females?

Can't wait to find out who Baby B is! Congratulations on Baby B also, no matter what it is! I'm feeling a little relived for you that you won't have twin boys!

10/11/2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Rob Barron said...

Yes, but Jorja has a special meaning that I will blog about in 7 days(-ish)

10/11/2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger Jules said...

Yeah, a girl and a SOMETHING! Congrats!
This is a FUN time!

ALSO, GO GO GO out NOW and buy The Ultimate crib Sheet...available at B r'Us! best thing ever....you snap it on over your crib sheets, and it they barf, pee, poop in the middle of the night you just pop it off and don't have to fumble with moving the mattress and putting ona new fitted sheet which is a nightmare ANYTIME of day, much less at 2am. So get 2 for each crib...4 total....put them bot on over the crib sheet. One gets messed up, yank it off and the other is already on there...they have a rubber backing. TRUST me on this one. :)

10/12/2006 9:05 AM  
Blogger Carol Kerfoot said...

This is an exciting read. It brings back a whole ton of memories for me! Congratulations of the human babies....lol

10/12/2006 1:29 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Coming your way via Child's Play...

We also have twins who are not 2.5 years old. We got the "ones a girl & the other is unknown" too. That second one hid behind my pelvis, my ribs, the other's head - you name it - I don't know how many scans and we never got the sex.

Both heartrates were the same...At one point, the doctor said "maybe a girl, but don't paint the nursery pink". Well, when they pulled out Tanner, we were shocked.

Make sure you have a boy's name picked out!

10/13/2006 11:27 AM  
Blogger Rob Barron said...

Oh, we've got names! Be sure to check out past post, Naming Nomenclature, v1.0.

Thanks for browsing!

10/13/2006 11:46 AM  
Blogger Gidge Uriza said...

The ultrasound is possibly the best one I have ever seen, what a hoot.
When I had my first ultrasound with the twins at 12 weeks, I was looking at the one baby thinking "What is that other thing? OH GOD WHAT IS THAT OTHER THING?"
I now call him Charlie.

10/14/2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Congratulations on the twins! Love the ultrasound pic.

Sarah from SATGS pointed me here. I have 16 month old b/g twins.

At my first 'sex determination' ultrasound, they knew one was a girl, but the other did not cooperate. Four weeks later we learned our daughter was going to have a brother.

You are in for the ride of your life!

10/15/2006 1:46 PM  
Blogger Mom101 said...

Here also via Sarah and huge congrats! That u/s photo is indeed a keeper. It's the one you need to bring downstairs to show B's date just before the prom, and humiliate them entirely.

10/15/2006 7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also here via Sarah. That is the best ultrasound picture yet. Definitely a Christmas card keeper.

I have twin 19 month old boys and it is the BEST experience EVER! They drive us crazy sometimes but they are also so amazing my husband actually called me from work this morning to say that he loves them so much he cried on the way to work. And he is a "tough guy".

I echo what Mike said about buying diapers, sizes 1-2-3, each week until they are born. Wipes too. And there is no such thing as too many bibs. Impossible. And one more word "Jumperoo". Trust me.

10/16/2006 7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! (here from Sarah at Goon Squad) That is the BEST u/s pic ever and should definitely be your christmas card. Will you put me on your card list?

My b/g twins are 9 now.

At the 20-week ultrasound, baby B was kicking baby A in the head! It was great. We could see baby A was a boy, but B was shy and we didn't know until birth what she was.

Baby A has a vaguely foot-shaped birthmark on his neck, and to this day the twins believe that his sister kicked him out first! It's hilarious to hear them tell it.

Twins are so much fun. You'll never sleep again, but at least you won't be bored.

10/17/2006 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home