Monday, October 09, 2006

Okay, Kids, I Am Completely Weirded Out

Much ado about finding out the sex of the children has been made on this site by yours truly. Well, not about finding out, but whether or not we should. [ed. note - Sarah made a very compelling argument for finding out.]

In all the excitement tied up in whether or not to find out, I totally forgot that tomorrow is the day!

Tomorrow is our 20 week ultrasound (although officially it is only week 19). The 20 weeker is a much longer scan than the usual ‘thanks, we're just browsing’ cursory look around the womb.

During this megasound (my word), they will look at several things on the twins –

•The head
•Spine and abdominal wall
•Heart and stomach
•Kidneys and bladder
•Hands and feet
•Placenta, umbilical cord and amniotic fluid

The question is, what will they find? Well, they could find problems.

Problems like –

•Anencephaly (absence of the top of the head) – 99%
•Exomphalos/gastroscisis (defects of the abdominal wall) – 90%
•Major limb abnormalities (missing or very short limbs) – 90%
•Spina bifida (open spinal cord) – 90%
•Major kidney problems (missing or abnormal kidneys) – 85%
•Diaphragmatic hernia (hole in the muscle separating chest and abdomen) – 60%
•Hydrocephalus (excess fluid within the brain) – 60%
•Down's syndrome (some babies with Down's may have heart or bowel problems that may be seen on the scan) – 40%
•Major heart problems (defects of chambers, valves or vessels) – 25%
(the percentage number at the end represents the chance of seeing the defect if it exists)

Oh yeah, they can usually tell the sex during this scan.

I don’t mean to be a doubting Thomas or a nervous Nellie (see my blog about idioms or go ask Tony over at Creative-Type Dad), but I stress out about the pregnancy and the health of Mommy and babies. After all, they are the three most important people in my life.

Actually, I had another post in mind for today, but when it dawned on me that we had megasound tomorrow, I figured this would be a good topic for today.

Oh yeah, still not sure if we’ll find out about the sexes or not. Best to tune in tomorrow to find out for sure.

12 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Good luck!

10/10/2006 12:37 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

You know you want to know what's in there. I know I couldn't wait, my wife wanted to, but I couldn't.

Waiting was tough enough

10/10/2006 10:24 AM  
Blogger Carol Kerfoot said...

Hi- Just a little note from a twin mom...CONGRATULATIONS to you are and your wife on the pregnancy. Today will be a LONG day, and uncomfortable for your wife, but well worth the peace of mind and the photos! You ask if you will ever get any sleep....my girls are two and NOPE none..lol
Looking forward to following along in your journey.

10/10/2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Radioactive Tori said...

Good luck! I will be thinking of you and hoping everythign is perfect. I remember how stressed I was before my 20 week ultrasound, and that was when I thought there was just one baby in there! I'll be waiting to hear how it goes!

10/10/2006 11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First: Stop worrying, everything is fine! :D

Second: I found out what my twins were (boys) around 20 or 21 weeks and I regretted it later. I don't really have a practical reason and it's probably more that I really wanted a boy and a girl rather than two boys and my regret probably stems more from disappointment. But you can always have the tech write down what they are and not tell you.

10/10/2006 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We never even thought about not finding out the sex. We wanted to be able to make sure that everything we needed was bought during the baby showers. That is harder to do if you don't know what you are having.

Have fun tomorrow.

10/10/2006 2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay.

1) Stop reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting". It is alarmist. It freaked me out every single week until week 18 when I said "Screw this book" and stopped reading it. I felt much better after that.

2) I'm sure you have alreasy had the doctors appointment, but if you did OR if you didn't find at, if you are anything like me you will still be surprised that there are two of them when they are 2 1/2.

10/10/2006 2:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That stress is completely normal and expected. I was nervous for all four! And we found out when we could. Our daughter was too shy but the three boys paraded their junk no problem.

10/10/2006 5:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, your link to Sarah in the post is broken.

10/10/2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger Rob Barron said...

It's fixed.

Sorry Sarah, and thanks Mike!

10/10/2006 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No problem. I thought I commented yesterday, but who knows what I did.

I'm sure you either know or don't know already. I hope everything went well.

10/11/2006 5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brother, let me tell you with all bullsit aside: The ultrasound was really life changing for me.

First of all, I had no idea that babies in an ultrasound could be moving around. I had only ever seen static photos or TV shows where there is this this vaguely H.R. Geiger Alien thing sitting there placidly, but in real life, you can actually see that kid flopping around like a salmon.

That was when it really really hit home for me that this was a living "breathing" person in there.

Hope it was the best TV show you've ever seen.

10/22/2006 8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home