Monday, November 05, 2007

That Dust Bunny Looks Familiar



It’s official; The Squeaker is mobile.

Yes, we've been inching to crawling (really, rolling to crawling) for sometime, but in the last ten days or so, we have gone to the true crawl. It's something like a soldier crawling under barbwire, using elbows and feet to propel her along on her belly.

So she’s mobile and likes to be under the couch.
Fortunately, her head is too big – or the couch is too low to the ground – for her to fit under it head first. If she could, we’d never get her out of there.

In fact, I have visions of the future…

“Have you seen Squeak?” P.Pie would ask.

“Nope,” I’d reply, looking up from working on my latest post. “Did you check under the couch?”

“Of course!” She’d say, laughing at her forgetfulness.

At first, it’s cute and funny - we take pictures and tell friends.

But as the years wear on, she begins spending more and more of her free time under the couch. We have to tell her to “TURN DOWN THAT MUSIC!” and threaten to take her phone away.

When she’s mad at us, she stomps into the living room, throws herself on the floor and slides under the sofa.

Eventually, we catch her either a) sneaking out from under the couch late at night, or b) having her boyfriend under the couch.

Either way, we will be forced to sell the couch and replace it with several highboy stools.

I’m hoping she’ll grow out of it.


11 Comments:

Blogger Moments Of Mom said...

That is just too funny.

She'll thank you for this post in the years to come....

;-)

11/05/2007 9:39 PM  
Blogger Liz Jimenez said...

What's funny to me is that's what my dog does. She's done it since she was a puppy. Sometimes it's to get a lost ball, but sometimes she just seems to want to hang out. And though she's a small dog, she's definitely bigger than she was. So she only barely fits under there. Conversation in my house:

"Have you seen the dog?"
*looks around* "No. Winnie...?"
*shuffle shuffle*
*little furry head peeks out from under the couch*
*frantic army crawl as she tries to dislodge herself*
"Weird dog."

11/06/2007 2:58 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

That is one seriously cute dust bunny.

11/06/2007 6:58 AM  
Blogger honglien123 said...

She's too cute and I love your vision, that's hilarious! Welcome to the mobile age. My kids really liked enclosed spaces too. They'd slide under the couch, hide in the back of closets and build nests there. I read somewhere a long time ago that children like dark enclosed spaces because they remind them of the womb or some such thing. Anyhoo, don't forget to babyproof.

11/06/2007 7:42 AM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

So adorable! Peanut did this but then would get angry when she couldn't move any further. I always wanted to take a photo of it, and never got around to it (unfortunately, because how cute is *that*?)

11/06/2007 8:02 AM  
Blogger Childsplayx2 said...

Such a cute photo!

Good luck lounging on those stools.

11/07/2007 8:33 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

That's hilarious!

11/07/2007 10:31 PM  
Blogger Gidge Uriza said...

I used to crawl under my mothers bed.....lol.

11/08/2007 10:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a small dog who loved hiding under the bed. She'd slither under there and steadily turn her head left ... and right ... and left ... and right ... all the time licking her lips. I wondered if she got some kind of static charge from rubbing against the mattress.

11/10/2007 1:43 PM  
Blogger Aviva said...

I know you're joking here, but it could happen! :)

I think I was in middle school before I finally realized that I wasn't invisible when I hung out under the never-used dining room table. It was my secret fort, and the place I went to when I was mad at the world (i.e. parents or siblings) and wanted privacy.

But, I never did bring a boy to lie under the dining room table with me. That's what the basement was for. :)

Really love your blog!

11/13/2007 4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, we're in the calm period where we only have 1 mobile child. The 2nd will be pretty much stationary for the next four or five months... so this is good.

It's when I have to keep track of two roaming souls that I will completely lose my mind.

11/20/2007 4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home