Monday, October 01, 2007

A Letter from Our Local Post Office

(Post #2 of 32)
Today we received a letter from the local branch of the USPS about The Beej; in the letter they accused him of keeping our local letter carrier from his appointed rounds.

In the letter they implied that, between the hours of 8am and 5pm, The Beej was threatening the postal worker.

Seriously.

Does the above dog look like an animal that would threaten anyone? And besides that, The Beej is a kenneled dog while we are at work. Between the hours of 8am and 5pm.

If that were the end of it, I probably wouldn’t care. Much. But, they want us to sign a letter stating, in short, that we understand that this is strike one of three (after three strikes, they can permanently stop delivering your mail and/or have your dog put down).

And, until we sign and return said letter, our mail will not be delivered.

No due process. No hearings. Just guilt.

And that’s what really pisses me off.

In this day and age of banned breeds, violent breeds, dog fighting, and dog attacks, this is an unfair attack on my buddy. On my best friend.

I fear that if I complain too loudly, they may see me as a troublemaker and use that as an excuse to clamp down harder on The Beej.

If I do nothing and go along, they might assume I’m a push over and want to make an example of The Beej.

There are a number of large breed dogs that escape their outdoor confines on a daily basis in our neighborhood, but no one is threatening their owners with killing their dogs and/or expulsion from the postal system.

And truthfully, I wouldn’t care if they told me I couldn’t use the USPS anymore; except they are the only game in town. Which is why they can be rude, surly, and inconsiderate when you visit their places of business to give them money.

Do I ever complain about this piss poor service from a former governmental bureaucracy?

Until now, no.

But you better believe that from here on in, for every mail carrier who doesn’t put my mail properly in the slot, their local Postmaster will hear about it.

Every time I’m greeted with a surly attitude at the counter, I’ll let powers that be know.

When a package arrives torn, bent, mangled, or otherwise in poorer condition than when it was sent, I will complain.

I will be the thorn in their side.

To quote Peter Finch, I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take it anymore.



On a positive note, how about those Rockies?!? A 9 to 8 victory after thirteen innings! And I don't particularly like baseball!

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy @ Taste Like Crazy said...

As the proud "mother" of two pit bulls, trust me when I say that I completely understand your feelings.

We, like you, also kennel our dogs when we're not home. So, if I had proof that there was no way that there was any merit to the letter, I know that we would get a lawyer.

I wouldn't risk a mark on my dogs' "permanent record".

Good luck.

10/02/2007 10:14 AM  
Blogger Librarina said...

That is complete and utter crap... I'm sorry they are being so stupid. Maybe there is another dog wandering near your house when you're not there? I would definitely look into it. My parents actually had a complaint made to their landlord (from a neighbor) about their dog -- right AFTER they moved her to the house they built. They sure felt great when they proved it wasn't their dog!

10/02/2007 10:52 AM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Wow! That is so utterly ridiculous. I'm completely indignant on your behalf.

Can you prove to the powers that be that Beej is kenneled, and therefore can't be any threat?

Oof, the unfairness of this totally got my back up!

10/03/2007 6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Postal workers...on average they make about double what I make and yet they're still so surly!
Honestly, if they sent us one of those letters, I would not sign it. I would march down to the post office to try to rectify the problem, and if they couldn't offer a good solution, I would sign up to have all our bills delivered via email, and let the post office collect my mail and either store it or return it to the sender. Either way, they are paying for it, literally. Good luck fighting the man, man!

10/04/2007 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home