Friday, August 24, 2007

The Sleepfighter


Who is the sleepfighter?

Not some somnambulistic pugilist,
At a free-for-all fracas
Throwing punches in a night cap & gown.
Nay, not a feud of fisticuffs in fitted sheets

Neither is it a worshipper
In the sanctity of sleep
The sleepfighter is a heathen
At the altar of night

There will be no going with just
A story,
A rock,
And a kiss goodnite

To arms! To arms!
Cries the wee sleepfighter
To sleep! To sleep!
Answers the weary roots

But youth and daring will out
While age & love caves in,
And I rock my sleepfighter
Into that good night

5 Comments:

Blogger CroutonBoy said...

I see this being read in freshman english class some day. well done

8/24/2007 7:30 AM  
Blogger Poetry Echoes said...

She is just so darn cute. What's a little lost sleep?

8/24/2007 8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who needs sleep? Sleep is for wimps! There's a whole world out there to explore. Even at 3 o'clock in the morning...

I should probably enjoy my sleep now, while I can.

8/27/2007 3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOH! that look...she looks like she planning mahem! Lets make her Queen of Chaos!

8/28/2007 3:28 PM  
Blogger Ash said...

I absolutely love this poem. May I have your permission to post it on my blog? (of course I will credit your name and linkage)
I have a five year old and a 6 week old. some nights they are both "sleep fighter's".

8/29/2007 7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home