Tuesday, September 25, 2007

More Than Just Variations of Pink

Friday night, neither P.Pie nor I felt like cooking, so we wrapped up The Squeaker and headed for our favorite Mexican food joint, La Loma’s.

Apparently it was infant night atLa Loma’s, and they were sticking us all in one section of the restaurant.

In the booth across from our table were two couples, one with a six week old and the other with a two monther. Squeaker was facing them and performing amazing acts of prestidigitation with her pacifier; too which, they ooh’d, ahh’d and giggled appropriately.

Of course, having small children puts folk in a special club and gives you carte blanche to start a conversation with the other parent(s).

***

Before the birth of the twins, I wrote about my apprehension of finding out the sex of the twins.

There were lots of reasons not to find out the sex of the twins, but the primary reason was because I didn’t want all of the twins’ shower gifts to be blue and/or pink.

But in the end, we did find out the sex and all the shower gifts were all blue and/or pink. Apparently there may be a reason for dressing girls in the pervasive pink.

In the seven months we’ve been toting The Squeaker around, unless she’s dressed in head to toe pink, everyone says “Awww, he’s so cute! How old is he?”

And the pair of couples at the other table Friday night were no exception.

The picture above is one of my favorite Squeak outfits (which she probably won’t fit into next week); this particular ensemble gets more gender questions than most others. [ed. note: maybe it just seems that way because I dress her in it so often]

But I don’t get it; look at the frilly arms and wide, blousy bottom of the shirt. And don’t get me started with the pink flowers around the waistband of the jeans. Who would dress their boy in this manner?

The Squeaker owns, and wears, of cute pink girls’ clothes. But I will continue to dress her in non-pinks and in order to circumvent the gender question maybe I’ll have a sign made that says, “Yes, I’m A Girl.”

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the same problem. I have identical twin girls and had them both in frilly pink dresses the other day and people asked if they were boy/girl twins. Ugh! Perhaps I should make a sign as well.

9/25/2007 8:18 AM  
Blogger Librarina said...

But, the funny thing is that pink doesn't always do the trick either... I once took my (very bald) niece out to the store with me -- wearing a pink dress, pink stockings, a purple coat, a headband, and earings -- and someone commented on how cute HE was... People are just dumb! Teeheehee...

9/25/2007 8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's universal. People are completely unable to read visual cues to help them see a gender. I have a friend with a pink car seat, pink diaper bag, and a dainty little girl who is always dressed in pastels. She still gets mistaken for a boy.

My jeans and a primary colored t-shirt eight month old is always mistaken for a girl. I think it's because he has hair.

9/25/2007 9:31 AM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

I love that outfit! But I definitely hear you. Even when the Peanut is dressed in a pink dress, people will still refer to her as a he. So I've given up, and have resigned myself to correcting them.

I did, once though, make the mistake of referring to an approximately 2-3 year old boy as girl. The mother was so offended, but dude? She had put his hair in pigtails (in addition to unisex clothing). Pigtails! With pigtails he definitely had that coming. I still hightailed it out of the coffee shop though.

9/25/2007 10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you. My daughter had very little hair at the beginning, and it took a while for it to come in. It constantly amazed me how many people would ask if she was a boy, even if she was wearing pink.

9/25/2007 12:39 PM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

We just stuck a bow in my daughter's hair.

That did the trick.

9/25/2007 1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oma use to tell me that unless she scotch taped a large pink bow to my head everyone thought I was a boy...probably because I was bald and looked just like opa!

9/25/2007 4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wanted to say that I love that outfit and it's definetly girly!!

My 4 yr old is into everything girly so watch out - cause that's how I used to dress her when she was 6 mos or so

all the best
Mich

9/25/2007 7:16 PM  
Blogger Mackenzies Momma said...

Maybe check your local babies'r'us. I constantly got the 'oh your son is so handsome' comment on my VERY BALD little girl. I happened to be in shopping BRU one day and found THE BIB its pink, and says on the front in BIG BOLD letters 'I AM NOT A BOY' people stopped asking!

9/25/2007 8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My B/G twins are different sizes...my girl being much smaller. When My boy grows out of something I dress my girl in it...so I get lots of "Oh! Two boys!" I tried throwing a pink bib on her..we have lots of pink bibs. But I still got the same thing. So I'm sticking with dressing her in the non girly clothing. I wish there were more gender neutral clothes out there that didn't cost an arm and a leg (ala Zutano)

9/25/2007 8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

people do mistaken babies' gender quite frequently. for all three of our boys, we always got "what a cute little girl." but it's probably b/c they all had a lot of hair when they were babies. and one had big eyes and really did look like a sweet, little girl.

or perhaps they're just trying to start conversation and that's the ice breaker. you know, kinda like how we grown ups try to start conversation with one another. "so....what do you do?" "oohh, you work for a software company? i bet you know a lot about computers...."

9/26/2007 11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home