Monday, July 16, 2007

Notorious D.A.D.

Around the house, and especially in the parenting department, I try to pull my own weight (which, I’m sorry to say, is a task that keeps getting bigger).

Entertaining, carrying, dressing, bathing, and changing The Squeaker (just to name a few) are all within my purview. And I’m pretty adept at them all; but I’m notorious for just one.

Around my house, I am notorious when it comes to changing The Squeaker’s diaper.

My notoriety does not come from my complaining about changing here diapers; in fact, I complain about a lot of things - taking out the garbage, the price of gas, stupid people – but I never complain about changing a wet/dirty diaper.

I am not without diaper changing experience. When Picasso and The VP first moved here, I watched gunslinger on Fridays. I changed a lot of diapers for Gunslinger.

I like changing Squeak’s diapers – it’s definitely a bonding experience; probably as close a bonding experience as I can get. What says I love you more than changing someone’s diaper? Maybe bailing someone out of jail, but really, that’s a distant second.

My notoriety comes from my apparent inability to put a dirty diaper in the diaper pail.

It’s not that I don’t want to put the diaper in its proper place, but I get sidetracked, what with keeping her feet out of the dirty diaper, keeping her from rolling off the changing table, dressing/redressing her, etc.

Personally, I think it’s a trifling of a thing; I could simply not change diapers, then who would be complaining?

Me, of course.

Because P.Pie would have thrown all my worldly possessions on the front lawn, put a 'FREE' sign on it and changed the locks on the house.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of dads complain about changing dirty/wet diapers, but you don't have any problems...good to know...yeah you are right it's a bonding experience...

7/17/2007 5:07 AM  
Blogger Childsplayx2 said...

If you ask me, I'm better at changing diapers than my wife. But I also have had trouble remembering to dispose of the diaper.

Here's a post I did one day after I remembered while at work that I forgot to dispose of one particuarly gross diaper.

It's a Long Story

7/17/2007 7:02 AM  
Blogger b*babbler said...

Ha! You and my husband are long lost soul mates apparently. In my house it sometimes feels like a diaper scavenger hunt, especially after he's taken care of the baby for an extended time. Diaper (or two) on the change table, one on the living room floor, one beside the bathtub.

At least he's changing them, right? :)

7/17/2007 7:48 AM  
Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

My husband always does the same thing. Always. And, he cannot, for whatever reason, remember to close the lid on the baby wipes!

7/17/2007 8:22 AM  
Blogger Librarina said...

As long as it's not a stinky poopy diaper that's making the house smell bad, no big deal!

7/17/2007 9:52 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

I don't mind changing the diapers, as long as it's not the "runny stuff"

7/17/2007 10:53 AM  
Blogger Radioactive Tori said...

My husband used to change diapers all the time and leave them wherever he changed the kids. One time, one rolled under the couch and we kept walking around checking if the kids needed to be changed. It was only then that it dawned on me that he possibly forgot to throw away a diaper! Too funny...it must be a man thing.

7/20/2007 7:52 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

Leave the diaper where you will (unless its stinky) but please stop carrying of the baby wipes. It makes for a bad situation when you have an open diaper and the wipes are missing. I am speaking more of my husband but I am sure there are other men who seem to think changing a baby on the changing table is not needed.

7/22/2007 1:31 AM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Someone around our house isn't so good at throwing them away either.

Oh, he's good at throwing them....near the front door. It's sooo gross!

"I'll take those out later."

"Later" never comes too soon...

7/23/2007 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home