Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Daddy Humor

What’s funny?

Of course, that’s not to be confused with walking into a room where everyone is laughing and saying, ‘What’s so funny?’ In which case, they’re probably laughing at you. Check your fly.

While funny is usually in the eye of the beholder, I think everyone can agree that humor is difficult.

What’s that? Humor you think humor isn’t difficult? Next time you watch a movie or hear a joke that you think isn’t so funny, try to think of a way to make it funny.

Not so easy, is it?

But, one of the truths in being funny is referring back to previously humorous sections within the same work. Funny also works when imitating or poking fun at popular culture.

That’s why The Daily Show is so funny.

So, I think it’s safe to say that humor is repetition. One needs look no further than their TV to realize this is true.

Hollywood relies heavily of the ‘rule of three’, particularly in sitcoms. The ‘rule of three’ states that you introduce it once, reincorporate it not long after and then bring it back for a third and final time in the climactic farce scene.

Next time you’re watching you’re watching your favorite sitcom, count the jokes. You’ll find they come in threes.

Also look to comics; the best comics have lines that they repeat over and over and over again. Let me give you a few examples (I’ll give you the line, you name the comic) – “You might be a redneck if…,” “Seven dirty words,” and “Well excuse ME!

So, I think I’ve made my point; humor is repetitious.

That’s why every time I change a dirty diaper, I carry it out of the bedroom and say, “Where does mommy keep the extra diapers? (pause) Coward!” in my best Michael Keaton, ala “Mr. Mom” impression.

So why does P.Pie roll her eyes at me?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She either has never seen the film, doesn't think it's funny, or she's convinced you're retarded.

(laugh track)

Yeah, it's not easy...

7/06/2007 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home