Sunday, June 29, 2008

Toddlers Who Say “Nee!”

Today, we saw our first film in a theater as a family. And as an extended family, no less – P.Pie’s sister and her whole family came along, so there we eight of us.

I have a thing about going to see a film in a theater; I rarely see it on the opening weekend. The lines are long, there are throngs of people and hardly ever more than two seats together unless you get there an hour early. But if you wait a week or three, the crowds thin out and it’s usually no problemo.

Of course there are exceptions to that rule, exceptions that revolve around science fiction series films and possibly comic book related movies. But the older I get the further apart those exceptions come into play.

My lack of desire to see movies on an opening weekend ESPECIALLY applies to kids’ films. Don’t misunderstand, I love a number of kids’ films including, but not limited to, Pixar movies.

Anyway, I bet you can guess what movie we saw.

We threw caution to the wind and saw WALL-E. Well, we saw MOST of the film. To Squeaker’s credit, she hung in there for an hour and a half. Unfortunately, there is at least 30 minutes worth of previews before the film, so we were doomed from the beginning.

Also at 16 months, she’s not yet a big TV watcher (not that I’m complaining), so expecting her to sit still through a feature length movie is not realistic. But it was worth a shot and she did pretty well.

My only complaint is that now I have to see WALL-E again so I can find out how it ends. And no, I don’t want you to spoil it for me.

*************************

In other news, Squeaker has picked a new word; and that word is “Need”. As in, “I need _______ ” (fill in the blank with whatever is in her line of sight, especially if it is not hers).

Except she drops the “I” from the first line of the sentence and the “d” from the end of the second word, as well dropping the entire word of the item she wants. So it comes out as simply a frantic “Nee! Nee! Nee!” as she points to the item that has caught her eye.

So whenever she does this in a public place, I say (a little too loudly), “Are you saying nee to that old woman?” in an English accent. To add insult to injury, I will usually go on to lament living in the dark ages as a schrubber.

If you are unfamiliar with the quote, click here to watch the clip on YouTube.

This sort of behave used to turn P.Pie bright red. Now she just rolls her eyes and ignores me.

I can’t wait until The Squeaker gets older so I can have someone new to embarrass.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

O M N!
That's pretty funny!

7/01/2008 10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home