Wednesday, January 17, 2007

...Brought to You by the Letter H and the Number 2

I am a DVD fan, aficionado, devotee, enthusiast, fanatic, addict… insert your own word here.

Let’s just say that I have enough DVDs to start my own rental place.

Of course with the twins coming, that just means I’ll be able to pick up some other DVDs that I had been holding out on. In particular I thought it might be good to pick up some of the classic TV series that are both kid and adult friendly. You know, they at least pretend to be somewhat educational, but doesn’t rot adult minds (ala big, stupid, annoying purple dinosaurs Barney).

Since I was at the big box blue & yellow electronics store anyway, maybe I’ll just take a peek at the wares.

I am amazed – A-mazed – at the number of television series available on DVD. Not just the big hits of the last, oh, 50+ years; those make sense. In fact, I own several TV show box sets – Deadwood, Sopranos, and CSI, just to name a few.

But why, for the love of Myrtle, are they putting out the really terrible ones? Does anyone really want to buy and sit through short-lived series like Archie Bunker’s Place, Ultraman, Lotsa Luck, and Harts of the West? What’s next, My Mother the Car and Capitol Critters?

But that’s not what I was looking for. I wanted Children’s Television Workshop stuff. Sesame Street, The Electric Company, and to a lesser extent, The Muppet Show (although it’s not officially CTW, it is Henson’s muppets, ipso facto, CTW).

The Muppet Show? No problem. I can get every episode on DVD. But The Electric Company and early Sesame Street? Nothing. Sure, I can get a million Elmo videos and a score of new Sesame Street shows, but nothing from the ‘70s.

[ed. note: On the plus side, they did have the CD Sesame Road, with the greatest single by the Sesame Street Beatles, ”Letter B,” sang to the tune of “Let It Be.” I’ll definitely pick that one up.]

Anyhoo, this puts me on a mission. I’ve GOT to have the early seasons of Sesame Street.

Long story short – they don’t put out the complete early seasons of SS. Yes, I can buy the best of seasons ’69-’74 in a box set, but that’s not the same thing. I am completely disappointed.

Somebody write a letter to CTW. They’ve got to be missing out on some serious dough.

In the meantime, maybe I’ll pick up the entire ’76-’79 series of Ark II.

11 Comments:

Blogger moe berg said...

there are two electric company sets out there. both are sublime. if i ever meet morgan freeman again, i'm going to thank him for teaching my guys to read @ 4 years old.

1/17/2007 10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude - couple of things...

The Muppets are now owned by Disney.

I am pretty sure you CAN get the Electric Company on DVD now (Heeeeyyyy, yoooooouuu, guuyyyyys!)

Letter B is available on You Tube. You tube is great. My daughter watches Sesame Street stuff on there all the time...

1/18/2007 4:47 AM  
Blogger Rob Barron said...

Yeah, I knew The Electric Company was available. I just fixated on Sesame Street. We always the things we cannot have.

1/18/2007 7:09 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

I didn't realize they put everything on DVD. If you see "Manimal", then its gone to far.

1/18/2007 9:46 AM  
Blogger Rob Barron said...

4 DVD complete set - $20. Order now, supplies are limited.

http://www.warlockvideos.com/manimal.html

1/18/2007 10:02 AM  
Blogger Radioactive Tori said...

Did anyone else watch The Great Space Coaster? I used to LOVE that one. I would buy that if I found it for sure.

1/18/2007 1:59 PM  
Blogger Rob Barron said...

The Great Space Coaster

Somebody made a mp4 out of an old VHS copy (now out of print) and uploaded it to google. Watch and enjoy.

1/18/2007 2:20 PM  
Blogger Gidge Uriza said...

Try not to cringe, but we have a family tradition with the Barney Song. During the "I love you" song we all gather in the living room and hug together and sing the song together, hugging and kissing at the appropriate moments.
It's tough to hate the big stupid purple dinosaur when you attach so much love to that song.....

1/18/2007 7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching the Great Space Coaster. Was that the one with Gary Gnu?

1/19/2007 4:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess so!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mAwVIZDAUF0

1/19/2007 4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm sure you know this by now but "sesame street old school ed. 1 and ed. 2" are now out... from the 70s. they are great! there's even a disclaimer in the beginning that "some material may not be suitable for toddlers today". classic!

2/23/2008 11:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home