Thursday, December 21, 2006

…I Needed a New One Anyway


This morning I woke to more damn snow a winter wonderland renewed.

The overnight winds and snow buried the work I had done the previous day. Since I do not live on a main artery street, we’re pretty much snowed in which means no getting out of the house.

So I suited up in my warm gear to re-shovel the walk.

About halfway down the walk, my lower back was tightening up on me. So I paused, stretched and continued.

By the time I got half the sidewalk scooped, the muscles between my shoulder blades were yelling at me.

Not a problem, I thought. Just givin’ the ol’ muscles a workout. A workout they desperately needed.

I finished the job and headed in for a hot cup o’joe with the morning news.

When the coffee was finished - and I’d seen enough Blizzard ’07 coverage - I tried to get off the couch to put my coffee cup in the kitchen. The key word here is tried.

My back – from between my shoulder blades to just above my butt – spasmed into a tight knot. I quickly gave up the idea of getting of the couch and fell back to on the sofa cushions.

I threw out my back shoveling snow.

Not snowboarding, not skiing, not having a snowball fight. Shoveling.

So I’ve spent the day trying to loosen my back muscles so I can get to work tomorrow.

I love snow.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! My wife just threw out her back. Not snowboarding, not skiing, not having a snowball fight. Not even shoveling.

Just by picking up the baby. Hope you can dig yourself out to pick up some Vicodin! Feel better.

12/22/2006 10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yer gettin' old, old man. Lay on your back, put your knees up, cross one leg over the other and pull that knee toward your chest. It should help a bit. Also, stretch your hamstrings by leaning forward to touch your toes. When your legs tighten up, it pulls on your back, too.

Advice from a really old man.

Happy shoveling. From Los Angeles. Hahahahahahahhhahahaahahahaha!

12/22/2006 11:43 AM  
Blogger honglien123 said...

Doh! That sounds truly awful. While I'm sure what I get isn't as bad, when I have back aches, I grab pillow and roll on to my stomach with my knees tucked under. Warm compresses on the back or ointment (salonpas, tiger balm, etc)...oh, and a whole lot of meditation to get my mind off of the pain and being stuck in one place. Dunno if it would work for you, but that's what I do. Hope you feel better!

12/23/2006 2:42 AM  
Blogger sky said...

congrats on the twins! when are they due?

I've got a pair myself, 2.5 but growin' up a mite quick.

good luck to you and yours this bah humbug season, or merry christmas, whichever school to which you subscribe.

12/26/2006 4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home