Wednesday, May 02, 2007

The Big Move

For the last nine weeks her entire life, The Squeaker has slept in the co-sleeper next to our bed.

Initially, we said it was for ease of feedings; if she was going to get up every two hours to feed, we might as well make it easy on everyone. We also said she’d move to her own room when she increased her time between feedings.

Almost from the get-go, The Squeaker ate every three hours. For the last four weeks, she’s been sleeping four to five hours before calling for room service.

And every week we’ve said, it’s time for her to sleep in her own room. But there’s always a reason not to, generally revolving around family staying with us. After all, it would be unfair to the relatives, wouldn’t it?

But, with my sister and her family gone, we were out of excuses; it was time for The Squeaker to make the move to her own room.

Our fear was an evening of crying, tossing, turning, and major separation anxieties. Fortunately, it wasn't as bad as I expected. I only cried for the first 10 minutes or so. The Squeaker? She slept like a log.

In truth, I think we all slept better. Neither P.Pie nor I woke every time she stirred, and vice versa.

Of course, I might have made her stir once or twice when I check on her. But that’s not bad, considering I peeked into her room at least a dozen times.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

She just a little doll! Wow, that's a big step! Her sleeping in her own room.

5/03/2007 9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we got lucky and had two kids who have both taken to their own room sright away. Both hated sleeping with us and to be hoenst, has been easier this way...we never hate to make the switch and they both learned fast how to sleep through the night on their own...good luck!

- Jon
- Daddy Detective
- http://www.daddydetective.com

5/03/2007 9:35 AM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

Good job, good job!

5/03/2007 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations on the big move. Doesn't she look so sweet sleeping there all content?

My daughter is 6 1/2 months, and we are just starting to contemplate the big move to her own room. Just the thought of her not being beside me at night makes me tear up a little.

5/03/2007 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful....and she reminds me so much of my baby daughter...who is almost EIGHT!

She slept in a small cradle in our room until she was about 5 months and then transferred to the nursery. And we were lucky, too, because she was a good sleeper at night; my mom said it was partially because we hadn't started out rocking her to sleep but put her in her bed when she was sleepy.

I am so happy that things are going well for you with your lovely family. Squeaker's guardian angel-brother is surely watching over you all.

5/03/2007 5:47 PM  
Blogger Poppy said...

The Squeaker is such a pretty baby :)

I know there's a big trend for co-sleeping for months if not years with children but I honestly can't believe anyone gets any real good, deep, restorative sleep like that.

I think it's good for babies to head to their own rooms as soon as they are going 3-4 hours without waking up.

You and P. Pie seem to be handling parenthood just fine :)

5/03/2007 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(music) moving on up to the west side (music)

5/03/2007 8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job surviving the move. We started from day one with them in their own room partly because we didn't trust ourselves to ever go through with the move if they started in our room.

We had to quit checking on them pretty early on though, there was a squeaky spot on the floor right next to their door that was big enough that it couldn't be avoided. I woke them up almost every time.

5/04/2007 8:42 AM  
Blogger Creative-Type Dad said...

I remember the day my daughter moved out of our room into her own.

It felt as if she were going off to college.

5/05/2007 12:27 AM  
Blogger Kila said...

Aww, what a big move! That's a tough one. I had my kids sleeping next to me in a bassinet for the first 3 months or more! When they moved into their room across the hall, it seemed miles away!

How blessed you are that she's such a great sleeper, wow!

5/06/2007 9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home