Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bath Time

A&D Ointment has a particular smell. Prior to a month and a half ago, I had associated with infants. Primarily because of my sister, Tintin.

When she was an infant I was nearly six. So I spent a lot of time ‘holding’ baby related items. ‘Robert, can you hold the A&D for mommy?’, or ‘Robert, can you hold the diaper bag?’ or 'Robert, hold this poopy diaper'… you get the idea. [ed. note: I was ‘Robert’ until I was in seventh grade and I have no idea why. I don't recall being an uptight kid.]

But now, it reminds me of The Squeaker’s bath time.

I was at the grocery store this afternoon stocking up the ol’ pantry (in true Colorado springtime fashion, we’re expecting 6-12” of snow overnight) and I happened to pass by the A&D Ointment aisle and caught the faintest whiff of the bronze soother.

Even in outer space, a hermetically sealed tube of A&D would give off an odor.

Wierd things happened when that olfactory sensation reached my brain; in my head I was transported to the kitchen sink where I was drying off a wet The Squeaker. I could feel her soft skin under the bath towel while her little fingers reached out to me. And simultaneously, my heart swelled with pride and love at the thought of her.

Finally the stock boy bumped me with his broom, thus ending my out-of-body experience. Which is just as well, I had a long string of drool dribbling from my lower lip.

Who knew parenthood would be such a trip?

5 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I really enjoying following your ride through new parenthood. A&D is certainly a classic. I still have the same HUGE tub that we bought with my first child. Crazy huh...

4/12/2007 11:40 PM  
Blogger Rachel (Crazy-Is) said...

It's amazing isn't it!

Regular Desitin has a particular smell too. Kind of like fish!

4/13/2007 3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While reading that I could smell Desitin, which I used on my boys, though I haven't used it for a long time. Ah, the memories.

4/14/2007 11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,

It sounds like you are enjoying raising The Squeaker as much as we enjoy reading your blog! My life is too busy now, lots of travel, and your writing has become an occasional pastime for me in lonely motel rooms. It brings me closer to my own kids, though we're well past the infant stage. (I just broke up a squabble in the playroom. Lack O' Sharin'. Again. And again and again...) Thank you for that.

Patrice and I felt moved to send a small donation to the USAA College Fund. Your family inspires us.

Much love to you all,
Malcolm and Patrice Smith
Austin, TX

4/15/2007 3:45 PM  
Blogger Lainey-Paney said...

A&D does have a smell & I love it!

My hubby hates it...but whatever.
It's not entirely about the smell itself, as you've posted...it's a memory. it's a time period. it's a whole little life!

4/16/2007 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home